As the date for the withdrawal of the UK (also known as Brexit) from the EU approached closer, it pays to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. With this in mind, the EMA have issued a guidance document on “Practical guidance for procedures related to Brexit for medicinal products for human and veterinary use within the framework of the centralised procedure, EMA, 19 June 2018” to prepare for the UK’s exit from the EU by the 30 March 2019.
What does it mean?
For marketing authorisation applications (MAAs) that are expected to receive a Commission Decision (i.e. be approved) after 29 March 2019, the QPPV, PSMF (for medicines for human use), batch release sites, batch control sites, intended OMCL (if applicable) and nominated local representatives for Member States other than UK must be located in in the Union (EEA).
As published on the EMA website on the 10 July, a recent European Medicines Agency (EMA) survey shows that marketing authorisation holders for more than half (58%) of the 694 centrally authorised products (CAPs) with an important step in their regulatory processes in the United Kingdom (UK), are on track with their regulatory planning to ensure that their marketing authorisation remains valid once the UK leaves the European Union (EU).
This also means that 42% are NOT ready… Are you one of the 42%
The EMA urges those companies who have not yet informed EMA of their Brexit preparedness plans to do so as soon as possible to mitigate any risks to the continuous supply of medicines for human and veterinary use within the EU.
We can help…
Ivowen can help Clients prepare to implement the required changes by providing the following services:
- Provide practical guidance on what needs to be in place by the above date to address situations where the UK is the current MAH, batch release site, batch control sites, location of QPPV& PSMF, transfer of orphan designation, etc.
- Act as a MAH in the EU
- Provide Pharmacovigilance (QPPV) services in the EU
- Provide Pharmacovigilance System Master File and backup services located in the EU
- Assist Clients in selecting and transferring RMS to another EU member state where the UK is current MAH
- Preparation of Brexit related variations to be ready for above timelines
- Assistance in changes needed to Product Information to reflect changes such as new MAH, batch release site(s), amend names of local representatives
Please contact us for further information at any time.